Anyone who knows me knows how much I dread mowing my lawn, especially in this heat! And if you are in any way like me, you will probably agree that robot lawn mowers are a godsend and just cool.
Traditional push mowers have become too old school and a lot of effort for the modern age. They require labor, time, and so much patience.
So, which one to buy is the real question, so to make it easier, for you to decide, I have put the best robot lawn mowers side by side and compared.
The best Robot Lawn Mowers in the market…
Currently, four lawn mowers in the market are crowd-favorites. They are:
Before we get into the machines’ details and discuss them individually, let’s take a look at why you should get one in the first place and other FAQs regarding lawnmowers.
Why should you get a robot lawnmower?
If you rely on hired professionals or the neighbor’s kids to come and mow your lawn, you’re probably always dependent on them. Plus, at times, you’re probably pretty disappointed when they don’t show up on time or don’t do the job well.
Having a lawnmower frees you from this dependency. But even if you decide to do it yourself, it’s quite a lot of effort, especially under the hot, scorching sun, right? Robot lawnmowers are great in that aspect, and here’s why:
These little genius gardening machines mow the lawn for you without you having to supervise it or push it around. What’s more? They run on electricity, so they are not as loud or noisy as the traditional lawnmowers. Thanks to this feature, you don’t have to worry about the neighbors or your baby waking up or having a phone call disturbed due to the noise. You can mow the lawn whenever you want.
Furthermore, most robot lawn mowers have a built-in rain sensor. When it starts raining outside, your robot quickly returns to its charging spot until the rain stops completely, ensuring that the device is safe from water damage. This feature makes sure that your device doesn’t stand out in the rain if you forget to bring it in or aren’t at home to do so. However, some robots are also waterproof so they can keep cutting even during the rain.
Overall, these devices save money, they are fast, they are effortless, and they don’t run on gasoline like the traditional lawnmowers, so that’s also a bonus!
Do robot lawnmowers work?
Oh, yes, they do! The first robot lawnmower reached the market shelves in 1969, so they are not as new as you would think. However, they were not the same as they are now. Today, robotic lawnmowers are improved, advanced, and do more than just mowing- they make your life easier.
Although, before you decide whether a robotic lawn mower works for you, there are several important factors to consider. These factors include your lawn’s size and measurements, the steepness, number and types of barriers in the yard, and the environment where you live.
Typically, each size of a lawn, small, medium, and large, has different suitable models for them individually. Mowers that have a broader cutting area will surely get more work done in less time. Similarly, most mowers are ideal for flat surfaces. If your lawn has a steeper surface, your robot will work just fine, but it will have to put in more effort. All this hard work will drain the battery much quicker. 15 to 20 degrees of slopes are okay, but anything more than that can cause a little trouble for the robot lawnmower.
Another critical factor is that if the lawn has several barriers, such as stone walls, you will eventually have to come in and reposition the mower manually.
Are robot lawn mowers safe?
This one is probably the most important frequently asked question about a robot lawnmower. If you are scared of losing a finger or a limb in your traditional lawnmower, you’re not alone. We’ve all been there. Traditional lawnmowers look scary, and there have been plenty of such reports in the past. So the fear is legitimate.
However, robot lawn mowers are far safer for several reasons. Although they have dangerous cutting blades, the design and built-in safety features make the device much more reliable to operate. Collision detection systems prevent these devices from bumping and crashing into barriers on the lawn. Plus, the Hi-Tech sensors switch the blades off whenever you get too close to them or lift the lawnmower. These features together reduce the risk of accidents with children and pets or even the adult user himself.
Before we begin, you’re probably wondering on what basis I’m making these comparisons. I have spent quite a lot of money and time to buy, experience, and experiment with these machines to gather enough information to give to others. This article is based entirely on the company’s claims and my personal experiences and thoughts about the lawnmowers.
With that said, let’s get into it.
Husqvarna is a popular name when it comes to robotic lawnmowers. This beautiful and genius machine comes with a GPS and is capable of managing over 1 acre of grass-just grass.
I bought this model over 745 hours ago, and so far, I love it. My lawn is pretty huge, and it takes care of it like a pro. However, even though it has a large frame, the cutting area is only about 12 inches.
The idea is to cut approximately ⅛ to 16 inches of grass on alternate days, and it helps keep the lawn in good shape at all times.
The company claims that the lawnmower will take care of the grass and the weed growing in the yard. According to them, once the lawnmower gets rid of the weed, it will supposedly never grow back again. That’s not true. The weed growing habit is that if you cut it straight up, it learns to grow sideways and adapts to the growing surroundings.
The Husqvarna 450X is excellent for large lawns and a big grassy area with its 2.4-inch maximum cut height. If you are not fond of golf course heights, it might be a problem for you. If not, you’ll do just fine.
- Mows the lawn very nicely and gets the job done.
- It features the option of stop cutting if your lawn’s grass grows at differing and uneven rates.
- The machine can operate for four and a half hours on a single charge.
- The engine charges completely in not more than 90 minutes.
- The built-in rain sensor makes sure your device doesn’t stand out in the rain and returns to the charging station.
- Integrated sensors for collision avoid bumping and damage.
- The auto shut-off feature helps it sense a turnover or when someone picks it up.
- The device can connect to 4G or 3G and has a built-in GSM regardless of where it stands.
- It can handle large lawns without a hassle.
- The Husqvarna 450x can be quite expensive for those on a budget.
- The application is hard to understand for some people.
- The programming is quite slow compared to other models.
- You require purchasing a SIM data package to operate the machine.
For further details on the Husqvarna 450x, you can check out details below that links to Amazon.
- Automower Connect - Automower Connect gives you full control of the mower right in your smartphone. You can easily send start, stop and park commands, check and adjust settings. If required also receive alarms and track your mower’s position in case of theft.
- GPS-assisted navigation - An onboard GPS system creates a map of the garden, including where the boundary and guide wires are installed. Husqvarna Automower will then register which parts of the garden it has covered and adjusts its mowing pattern accordingly. This will ensure optimized lawn coverage and an excellent cutting result.
- LED headlights - Energy-efficient LED headlights for better visibility and control even in the dark. The lights will also start flashing if a malfunction occurs.
- Superior interaction - All Automower Connect equipped robotic mowers are compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Home. This means all you need to do is give your smart speaker a voice command, and Husqvarna Automower will jump to the task. You can execute the most common commands such as start, stop, park and get status updates from your mower by simply asking your voice assistant.
- Triple guide wires - Triple guide wires reduces searching time even if the installation area is really large, complex or divided into several areas.
When compared to the Husqvarna Robot lawnmower, I would say this is better for smaller lawns. Hear me out. I tried to operate it in the backyard, that’s roughly half an acre. Anything larger than that makes the machine “tired” and reduces performance. The overall performance of the device is excellent. We operated it for about 12 hours in a single day, and the results were quite impressive.
Plus, the device maintains noise-free operation along with aesthetics. You can barely even notice that it is on. It’s a complete package with quality, comfort, and style. Thus, if you have a small yard or lawn, this mower will be perfect for you.
- The directions are clear, straightforward, and easy to follow, and they are quite precise and accurate.
- The machine operates very quietly.
- If you have to replace the blades at a certain point, these replacements are quite cheap and budget-friendly.
- It composts grass nicely.
- Compared to other models, it’s affordable. However, the price is still pretty high.
- The boundary wire breaks easily.
- The mowing height is lower than expected.
For more details on Worx WG794, you can click the below image and get a better idea through Amazon reviews.
- Fully programmed out of the box for easy set-up and use; equipped with an anti-theft system using a security pin
- Aia technology allows landroid to make intricate cuts and navigate narrow passages
- Landroid evenly Mows inclines and declines up to 20-degrees
- Landroid uses shock sensor system to mow around obstacles
- Automatically returns to base in case of rain or for recharging Battery
When I bought this one, I liked the most about it because it had all the specs I was looking for, without compromising on the aesthetics. When you spend so much money on a robot, you expect it to deliver while looking like eye candy. Please tell me I’m not the only one who feels that way! So when I saw this lawnmower, believe me, I had my eyes set on it.
Apart from its ridiculously gorgeous exterior, it has several other beneficial features that make it a crowd-favorite. It has a floating deck and an excellent cutting speed. The cut is always smooth and even surprising for a lawnmower so small. Plus, it carefully and impressively avoids objects and obstacles in the lawn and cuts around trees without additional boundary wires.
You might have to use boundary wires to help with the edging mode, but that entirely depends on the landscape object.
Robomow does an excellent edging job. I’m happy with it, but it could be better. Anyhow, it learns the lawn quickly, and I did not find any missed cutting sections longer than a few days, unlike the Worx robot lawnmower. The Worx had a few portions for a few weeks while we were testing it in the initial phase.
The Robomow lawn mower manages to cut through higher grass via a slower drive speed. If your grass grows too high, you can switch on the “Turbo Mow” feature for extra speed and power. This feature automatically resets to the regular mode of cutting once the turbo mow cycle completes.
Plus, the built-in GSM module texts you if the device faces any issues whatsoever. I tested this feature when I was a few miles away, and it worked like a charm. However, what’s interesting is that I received no such notifications while I was home.
But the one feature that made me the happiest was that if the robot stops because of an obstacle or a boundary wire that it was unable to avoid, you can control it through a remote application. This feature helps when you’re not around to help the device or fix it manually. You can either locate or reposition it or send the machine back to it’s charging station.
However, if you decide to purchase this lawnmower, ensure that the initial battery cell balancing and charging finishes.
- It is excellent for medium-sized lawns.
- It is capable of following a set or fixed schedule.
- The application is user-friendly and very convenient.
- The mower cuts 22 inches wide, which is helpful if you’re using it on bigger lawns.
- It is capable of working in several different zones, such as the backyard and the front yard.
- The machine comes with a parameter wire without extra costs.
- Hilly areas are a bit tricky for this device.
It has a cutting height from 0.7 inches to 2 inches, and you can adjust it through a rotating knob. With effortless performance, the Gardena 4069 is a gorgeous, hard-working, and high-quality machine for your lawn services. Even though it’s not as fast as its competitors, it still manages to cover approximately 45-meter squares of the area in less than 60 minutes.
Operating and using this machine is incredibly and surprisingly easy. Once you’ve installed and assembled the device, there’s not much maintenance required regularly. You can set up the parameters through the guide and boundary wire to make sure that your lawnmower doesn’t ruin your flowers or bump into walls. When the charging is full, the best part is it automatically returns to its charging station and then returns to work after being fully charged.
Furthermore, the machine is entirely automated, precise, quiet, reliable, and agile. If it hits a blocking obstacle, its immediate mechanism of action is to reverse and go into a different direction. The two front and back sensors process and acknowledge the approaching boundary wire. The machine overruns the wire by a few centimeters, 28 to be precise, and then turns back.
Speaking of maintaining the machine, you should inspect the mower weekly and replace the parts that are worn out or are damaged. Routinely check to ensure that the blade disc and the blades are in shape and pivot freely. Avoid using running water or high-pressure washers to clean these machines and don’t use any sort of solvents either. You should consider battery replacement only when appropriate or when needed. A single battery has a lifespan of at least 2 to 4 years.
- The machine is relatively quiet.
- The cutting results are excellent and beyond expectations.
- The design is user-friendly, and you can easily install, operate, and maintain the machine.
- The battery is entirely maintenance-free, which is also a big bonus.
- The lawnmower is weather-proof and rain-proof.
- Anti-theft safety features enhance protection levels.
- It has an emission-free design.
- The machine is safe for use and customizable for ease.
- It does not include a rain sensor.
- The movement is rather slow.
- It is quite expensive for some people’s liking.
- A longer charging time and shorter running time can give some inconvenience.
In conclusion, the best robot lawn mowers in the market are specific in terms of their designs for a particular criterion, preferences, and requirements. Take notice of what you want and need in a robot lawnmower and make the purchase accordingly.
Each of the options mentioned above is one of the best that I could find, and I have a personal experience with each of them. That being said, I know what they are capable of, how well they work in different scenarios, and what they look like. I’ve compiled the list and elaborated it as much as possible to help you make an informed decision. Hopefully, my “guide” will help you find the robot lawnmower of your dreams and make your gardening life more manageable. Good luck!