If you want to have a smart home ecosystem or an efficient energy home, then the best way to do so is by investing in some smart light bulbs. Smart lighting along with smart speaker can help to have a really cool and seamless experience. There are many choices available in the market with different shapes, colors, style and sizes from different brands. Whether you want Amazon Alexa or something else, you will get different types of such lights.
If you are confused and don’t know what to choose, we have a complete buyer’s guide for you to choose the best smart lighting that will suit your lighting needs. Best Smart Light Bulbs: Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant and Apple HomeKit Powered Lighting:
- Philips Hue
- C By GE A 19 C-Life Smart LED Light Bulb
- Hive Active Light
- Ikea Tradfri
- Sengled Element
- Nanloeaf Light Panels
You can go all-in with one specific system rather than choosing one from various brands for your home. So, before we start with the products and brands, you need to know a bit about smart lighting. This will help to get started with it.
Why buy smart lighting?
There are many reasons why you must buy smart lighting. Of course, technology is advancing really fast and it has benefited every industry. When it comes to lights and bulbs, technologies have done a remarkable job. With your voice, you can simply turn on or off the lights. This can be done by just pairing your lights with Google Assistance, Alexa or Siri. You can also dim them in the same way. It has made life really convenient for you.
You can also group all the bulbs to have your entire living room, downstairs and the rest of your home under single control. You can also set up some routines which will make sure to switch off or on the preferred lights. For instance, if you want to have a ‘movie time’ then the smart technology will turn off your main lights and switch on the dimmer or the warmer ones. You can also select different light settings for different moods or routines.
You can also have the sensors that will help you to switch on or off certain lights based on your actions. For example, if you open the front door of your house, the sensor will detect the motion of the door and switch on the porch light. The light will automatically turn off when the door is closed or none is outside. This is something really useful and convenient.
Using smart lighting is not only beneficial when you are at home. Yes, it can also help when you are not at home. Whether you are on a vacation or working late at home, you do not have to worry about your home. Automatic light scheduling will turn off or on the lights making it look like someone is there at your home. This prevents the chances of vandalism and theft.
How do smart bulbs work?
If you are new to the smart bulb technology, then you must know the basics first. These smart bulbs are actual bulbs which are connected via the internet. They can be connected through Wi-Fi and hence they do not need any extra hardware for that. But there are some smart bulbs that need a hub which remains connected to the router.
Why do all the smart bulbs need a hub?
It is not an essential thing but the smart bulbs tend to work in a better way when they are connected to a hub. When the hub is present, the bulbs work using Z-Wave or Zigbee. Hence, they have much more stable connectivity than the Wi-Fi. This has a longer range and better longevity than that of the wireless internet connection as Wi-Fi connections tend to drop out more often.
How to fit a smart bulb?
Every bulb has a different system. You have to first set up the hub and the app. Then, you need to screw your bulb and turn that on at the wall. You can find them within the app now. For the bulbs without hubs, you have screw in and then turn them on. Your phone will be automatically connected to the bulbs via the Bluetooth. Now, you have passed on the Wi-Fi details to remain connected.
Are smart bulbs expensive?
If you compare them with the standard bulbs, then definitely the smart bulbs are more expensive. But the prices are continuously dropping. You can get a good deal on some of the starter smart bulb kits. Once you get that, you can wait to grab the single bulbs available in the sale. There are big retailers who are always providing discounts. You can look out for them.
But there is also an alternative to this. You can enjoy many of the benefits of a smart bulb by simply changing out the smart light switch. Though you will not be able to have some of the amazing benefits of the smart bulb such as color and dimming features, it can save a lot of money for you.
Best smart bulbs available
With so many options for smart lights available in the market, nowadays, it is quite obvious to get confused. If you are wondering which light will be perfect for your house and which one should you buy, then you are in the right place. Here are the reviews of some of the best smart bulbs that you can install at your house:
One of the best and oldest smart bulbs with smart lighting technology is the Philips Hue. This is a starter kit which is compatible with Alexa, Google as well as with Apple HomeKit. So, this provides amazing convenience for you when you want to dim the lights or switch off and on the lights. You can simply command the Alexa to turn on or off the lights for you. With the help of this light, you can transform your home according to your needs or moods.
Setting up this light is quite easy. First, you need to download the free Philips Hue app from your App Store (iOS) or Google Play (Android). Once you have done that, you must connect the hub to your Wi-Fi router. You can do this by using the Ethernet cable that comes with the light. Now, click on the ‘Setup’ and you will be able to connect the app to your light. You can control it using other apps too by Android or iOS.
This light offers you to enjoy different colors to accentuate your house and create something really amazing. You can add about 50 lights throughout the home with one Hue Hub. You do not need any Wi-Fi extender for this. These Hue color lights are certified by Energy Star and they can last for about 22 years. Each of the kits contains 2 Philips Hue smart bulbs with 3 years of warranty. You can easily expand the system with different accessories that you have to buy separately. Some of the accessories that are compatible with this bulb are – Hue dimmer switch, Hue motion sensor and Hue Tap.
Hue is definitely one of the best smart lights that can perform in various ways. It is the heavyweight smart bulb which comes with various choices, quality and compatibility. Though there are many such smart lights available, the best thing that sets the Hue apart from others is easy to use the feature. You can connect the bulbs very easily and get started with it. You will simply need to speak for turning your lights off or on. So, you can enhance your home with the soft white lighting and control it remotely from anywhere. You will be able to set light schedules and timers to automate the entire function.
– One of the best bulbs
– Compatible with almost all interfaces
– Easy to install
– Very convenient to control
– Comes with amazing features
– Quite expensive
– Still, relies on a hub
- Simple to Get Started; Set the mood with 16 million colors. Control your Philips Hue Smart Lights all with just the touch of a button on your mobile device or your favorite voice assistant. Add up to 10 Hue Bluetooth/Zigbee smart bulbs with the (free) Hue Bluetooth app. When ready to connect a voice assistant, just go to Settings > Add voice assistant in the Hue App.
- Lifetime: 22 years or 25,000 lifetime hours (based on industry average usage), Energy Star Certified
- Previous Hue Customers; This smart light, while Bluetooth compatible, will continue to work with your Hue Hub and can be seamlessly integrated into your current Hue Ecosystem. With the Hue Hub, you can control up to 50 smart lights throughout your home (even outdoor). Create timers and routines to automate your entire smart home lighting setup. Control your lights while away from home or add accessories such as motion sensors and smart switches to further enhance your experience.
- Set the right mood: Style up your home decor with color accents or set up fun light colors for your next party. Support your day with pre-set light recipes, to get you energized in the morning and wind you down after a long day.
- Certified for humans: Struggle-free, tinker-free, stress-free. No patience needed—they’re actually simple.
C By GE A 19 C-Life Smart LED Light Bulb
GE is definitely one of the biggest and most popular names in the smart lighting industry. C by GE offers a lamp and a smart switch along with it. It works great with both Google Assistant and Alexa. Though it has promised to include the HomeKit support, it has not yet arrived. For out-of-home control and voice control, you will need the C-Reach hub. There are two types of lighting available for this smart bulb.
One is the C-Life which is perfect for regular lighting. The bulbs have great brightness of 850 lumens. They work from 2000K to 7000K color temperature. On the other hand, there is C-Sleep bulbs. This is perfect to calm your mind down at the end of the day. The color temperature here ranges between 2000K and 5000K. So, they do not go as bright as the C-Life. These 2 lights are for different moods and requirements. While you will need the former one for studying or working, you will need the latter for relaxing and unwinding.
There is also a third type of smart bulb available here. This is the new one made for Google. It doesn’t require the Reach hub for working. You can simply plug in your Google Home and then screw the bulb. Now, open the Google Home app and add it. That is all you have to do to enjoy a wonderful lighting experience. It is very easy to install, set up and control. The method is not at all complicated. This has a quite long lifeline which can last for 20 years if you use 3 hours per day.
You can set up the bulb using the Bluetooth connectivity. You will not need the hub for it. You can create different lighting scenes and save them, on the apps. Whenever you want to switch on a certain type or mode of lighting, you can simply say the name of the mode. You can create some of the different modes such as ‘Homework hour’ for bright study lights, ‘Wake up’, ‘Movie time’ etc. With the help of this, you will be able to instantly brighten or dim the lights. You will also be able to control all the bulbs of a room at once.
If you were looking for the best and most efficient smart bulb with simple setup and effortless adjustment, then you have finally found your ideal match. This smart bulb comes with a simple setup with an easy to screw feature. Along with this, you have to download the C by GE app for a seamless setup. Once you have done this, it is very easy to adjust or control the bulbs. The entire control will be at your fingertips. You can control the lights from anywhere in your home without the need to reach the switch.
– Made for Alexa as well as for Google support
– Quite affordable
– Very easy to use
– Convenient to control
– Doesn’t come with HomeKit powered lighting
– No options for color is available
- Create a lighting schedule with Cync smart bulbs: Get added comfort and convenience by automating your smart light bulbs with iOS and Android apps, so you never come home to a dark house or disrupt your comfort from bed
- Create your smart home with smart LED bulbs: The Cync smart bulb works with Alexa and Google Home. This is the Bluetooth bulb that Google Home and Alexa users need for easy and seamless integration when paired with the smart devices
- Modernize traditional devices with smart bulbs: The Cync A19 smart light bulb fits medium base sockets in open fixtures designed for traditional 60-Watt incandescent A19 bulbs and helps make your house a smart home
- Any temperature of everyday light: Create a scene with tunable white light to match your style by installing the C by GE smart light bulb. The smart light bulbs work with Alexa and Google Home to easily explore scenes that fit your mood
- Use a C by GE Smart Plug to enable Amazon Alexa and Google Home: Pair the C by GE Smart Plug (sold separately) with your Smart Bulbs to enable voice control with Amazon Alexa and Google Home and out of home control
This is one of the bulbs that were on the smart bulb radar, a few years ago. Though the name is not so popular, it is worthy of competing the Philips Hue with millions of color options and 1000 shades of white to choose from. The Lifx smart bulb comes with some amazing features and specifications that you will simply love. It is compatible with Wi-Fi and the LED bulb is super energy-efficient in nature. The wattage of this bulb is 11 watt and it doesn’t require any hub.
This smart bulb can work amazingly well with Amazon Alexa. So, you can simply control the lights with your voice command. These lights are adjustable as well as dimmable according to your needs and moods. You can control them with the help of smartphones through apps. The range of bulbs by Lifx is ever growing. Definitely, it is one of the best smart bulbs available in the market right now. It also comes with Tile and Beam. These are lighting fixtures that you can stick on the walls. Arrangement completely depends on how you want it. They can also be set to the custom themes by Lifx. Besides that, these are also built to pulse with the changing colors.
If you compare this with the Philips Hue, then it has outdone Hue, according to us. It comes with some really beneficial and helpful integrated features and pre-set configurations. It also has some amazing effects. You will find all the functionality neatly arranged on the app. So, controlling the features of the Lifx becomes quite easy for you. Life becomes simple and easier with the convenience this smart bulb offers. You will be able to control the lights of any parts of your home sitting at the comfort of the sofa or bed. All these work efficiently and seamlessly with Lifx.
There is no doubt the Lifx is one of the most efficient and versatile contenders in the world of smart lighting. It may not be a common household name like the Philips Hue, but it does a fantastic job with amazing quality. It comes with a plethora of functions and features with fantastic quality. Even the app is very simple and easy to use. So, if you want a smart bulb without a hub, then this is the best choice that you can make. It has some amazing lighting options and features that you will not be able to ignore.
– This doesn’t require hub
– Offers great quality lighting
– Features amazing smart home integration
– Can be adjusted accordingly
– Easy to operate
– Quite expensive
– HomeKit setup is a bit complicated
- Works with Alexa (Alexa device sold separately), Apple HomeKit and the Google Assistant for voice control; Beam Angle: 250 degrees
- Easy set up. LIFX screws in like any traditional light bulb. Simply download the app, connect to Wi-Fi and you're ready to go. No hub needed
- Built in Wi-Fi & LIFX cloud. Offers full Lighting control via Wi-Fi with our LIFX iOS, Android and windows 10 apps. Access your bulbs anywhere, anytime via the cloud
- Dimmable. Connected Lighting for your space, time of day, and mood. Experience how subtle adjustments in brightness can enhance the comfort of any room
- Intuitive control. Control lights individually or as Groups, set timers for one touch automation
Hive Active Light
If you are looking for some smart solutions for the lighting of your home, then the Hive Active Light is surely one of the best options for you. With some amazing features and versatile specifications, this smart bulb has made it to the top smart bulbs. The control of the smart bulb is right at your fingertip. Hive has introduced some white as well as some full-color bulbs. You can control all these with the help of Google Home or with Amazon Echo.
Talking about the Hive app, it is one of the award-winning apps that helps you to control the entire home conveniently. It is quite easy to operate and makes it incredibly easy for you. So, you do not have to waste time adjusting the lights or switching off and on the lights. You can spend more time doing certain things that you love the most. You can set daily lighting schedules for better convenience. You can choose different types of lighting for different time and moods. You can set schedules such as ‘wake up time’, ‘movie time’, ‘study time’ and many more. The lights will automatically be adjusted according to your routine set by you.
You will also be able to adjust the level of your lights with the help of the smartphone. This helps you to make it look like you at your home when you are spending some quality time on vacation. This will help to keep your house safe and protected from any invasions. You can adjust the lights remotely by simply controlling them via apps. You can save energy bills in such a way. If you are away from home and want to switch off a particular light of your house or room, then you can do that simply by sitting anywhere.
To control this, you will need a Hive Hub. It is compatible with Amazon Alexa. So, you can control the product with your voice. This is quite simple and convenient for you. You can also synchronize the lighting with the help of the Hive Sensors using Hive Actions. Hence, it will be even more convenient for you to switch on and off the lights based on the motion. You do not have to worry about switching on a light before going into a room. With the help of the sensor, the motion will be detected and the light will be switched on. This Hive smart bulb comes in 9W with 2700K warm white lighting.
– Value for money
– Simple and easy to set up
– Very convenient to use
– Controlled by Alexa and Google support
– Requires a hub
– Can operate a bit slowly
- Tunable Colour - Adjustable colour from warm white to daylight cool so you can match the colour tone to your existing standard bulbs
- Easy to Adjust - Adjust the colour, level and warmth of your lights from your smartphone
- Safety First - Mimic Mode makes it look like someone's at home even if you're away
- Easy Installation - Simply replace your existing light bulb, pair with the Hive Hub and add your smart bulbs on the Hive app
- Long Lasting - 25,000 hours of lamp life to L70
Ikea joined the smart lighting technology with the launch of the Tradfri smart lighting rang in 2017. This is one of the revolutionary innovations in the world of smart lighting technology. It comes with amazing energy efficiency. This LED smart light bulb can consume up to 85% lesser energy than that of the other lights. They can also last for more than 10 times longer than the incandescent bulbs. Though loaded with some amazing features, these lights are not dimmable in nature. They can last for about 15,000 hours.
They come at a very affordable rate. So, if you are looking for a smart lighting solution with great features then you must try this. It is a budget-friendly kit available in the market which is compatible with both Google Assistant and Alexa. Though it comes at a very pocket-friendly price, the performance is quite impressive and you will love the way it performs. But when it comes to the competition in the market, it has to do a lot of things to make good progress. Performance wise, it is okay. But what better can you expect at this price?
This Apple HomeKit powered lighting can be a good choice for your home if you want to have something within the budget. This is not so versatile or efficient like that of the previous ones but it can work quite well. Talking about energy efficiency, they definitely score the best.
– Very affordable in price
– Hub is not required
– Can be operated with Google and Alexa
– Not dimmable in nature
– Comes with limited shades
Do you want to get started with the smart lighting for your home? Then the Element Classic A19 smart bulbs are the best and simplest way to do so. You can enjoy some of the smart lighting capabilities and features in your room. This smart lamp is compatible with Google Assistant, Alexa and SmartThings. So, these make your work much easier and more convenient as you will be able to control the lights with your voice command simply sitting at one place. That is quite a great innovation. Being very easy to set up, you will be able to easily install and set up the Element bulbs to the Element hub.
Now, you can use the app to control the lighting. For this, you simply need to download and install the Sengled Home app on your iOS or Android phone. After connecting it to the Sengled Element hub, you can control the lights remotely. You can switch them on or off or even dim them whenever you want to. With the help of voice control, you can even adjust the brightness of the bulbs. This is something really convenient for those who are busy and want a smart technology home. With just a voice common or simple tap on the app, you can control each and every light in your house.
Talking about energy efficiency has become one of the most important aspects of life, nowadays. The Element LED smart bulb is very energy efficient in nature as it can save about 80% of the energy when compared to the incandescent lighting. You can also use the app for monitoring the use of electricity. So, choose an efficient option is at your fingertip. This is not all as this smart LED bulb comes with more features like scheduling. If you want to set a proper schedule for lighting at some specific time of the day, you can preset it. The lights will be automatically turned on, off or will be dimmed based on the schedule.
‘Alexa, turn on the movie time lights.‘ or ‘Alexa, dim the lights to 40% brightness‘ will do your work. Isn’t that really fascinating? Of course, it makes your work so much simpler and better. Nothing is more convenient than to command something and get it done. Of course, this smart lighting is perfect for making your life much better. It can also save a lot of money on your energy bills. Sengled makes a quite strong value proposition with this LED smart light and it successfully delivers it too.
– Great quality at an affordable price
– Very simple and easy to set up
– Compatible with Alexa and Google support
– Can work with the hub
– Not supported by HomeKit
– Color bulbs are not available in the kit
- 【Flexible Set Up】Hub required. Easily pair Sengled multicolor smart light bulb directly to a compatible smart hub, like Sengled Smart Hub, SmartThings Hub, Wink Hub and Habitat Hub. They are a19 Alexa light bulbs, no separate smart hub required when connected to Amazon Echo Plus or Echo Show (2nd Gen). Additional hub required when connect smart bulbs to Echo, Echo dot or Google Assistant devices.
- 【Voice Control】Smart light bulbs that work with Alexa and Google Home. Control your smart light bulb via voice commands to turn your smart bulbs on/off, adjust colors, brightness and more, e.g. switch on the a19 Alexa light bulbs before getting out of bed, dim the smart lights from the couch to watch a movie.
- 【Wake Up & Sleep Mode】Easily setup via using Sengled Home App (iOS and Android). Schedule your smart lights to slowly light up. Starting at the set time, the smart bulbs will slowly brighten throughout the timespan you set. Your lights will slowly get brighter in the morning. And you can also schedule your lights to simulate a sunset so that you can fall asleep more naturally every evening. Your bulbs will slowly dim over the timespan you set.
- 【Millions Color Changing】More than 16 million colors are available, but also has DIY selection to create your great led mood lighting. Just dim the light within 1% - 100% in brightness, to a level you want on your phone. No need to search for a dimmer. Change the color temperature from warm to cold (2000K - 6500K), enriching your lighting experience. You can also create a group for all of your alexa light bulbs, and easily group control your smart light bulbs with Alexa, Google Home.
- 【Sengled Smart Hub Supports 2.4G & 5G】Connect smart light bulb to Sengled Smart Hub , which works with both 2.4G & 5G WiFi router (Connect Hub to your router with Ethenet cable). High connection reliablity even add up to 64 smart bulbs to the smart hub system. Without worry about straining your network and frequently drop offline . Easily Expand Your Smart Lighting system with accessories (sold separately), such as a Sengled Smart Lightstrip, Dimmer Switch, Smart Plug, or Door/Window Sensor.
Nanloeaf Light Panels
If you are looking for the smartest features in smart light technology, then this is one of the best options to choose. One of the coolest things about this smart light bulb is that they look just like a normal regular bulb. You will have to simply screw them into the already existing socket and then use your smart home assistant or phone to control these lights. You need to, of course, connect the bulbs with the app or smart assistants. That is also quite simple and easy to do. This is a modular lighting system that can immediately accentuate the overall look of your house and upgrade it to a smart home.
You can connect this with Google support, Amazon Alexa or even with the HomeKit. You can fully customize the lighting with the help of the app and create your own preferred lighting. You can also set a schedule according to your needs such as ‘movie time’, ‘bedtime’, ‘wake up’ etc. All these schedules will switch on or off certain lights to create the mood that you want. You can activate these scenes with your voice command such ‘Alexa, please turn on the movie time lights‘. As soon as you ask the smart assistant to do this, it will switch on/off or dim the lights as you have preset it.
The lights can work on the rhythm. It listens to the music, thinks of it and it turns the music into light. This is one of the most advanced technologies. With so many such amazing features, this smart light has become one of the finest technologically advanced lights. You can plug the Rhythm module into the light panel and it is good to go. It reacts to music of all moods and genres in real-time. You can have a great time with music and lighting. This is perfect for the party.
The modular system of this smart light technology allows you to arrange the triangular shaped pattern in any shapes you will like. You can also use the app for customizing each and every panel according to your needs. You can create the movement patterns too based on any particular mood or time. You can arrange and re-arrange them to have any colors of the light that you want. This is technologically quite advanced than that of the Hue or Lifx. But it is not designed to compete with them. The colorful splash of lights with music is all made for fun.
This light is totally different from other lights in this list. Though it has some amazing features and advanced technologies, this light is not always used in the home for regular uses because of the colorful nature. It is surely different from that of the traditional smart lighting but it is quite fun to use.
– Easy to set up and use
– Meant for great fun
– Can be easily customized
– Very technologically advanced
– Quite expensive in nature
– Not for regular uses
- The Rhythm Edition Smarter Kit transforms your favorite songs into dancing symphonies of color and light. Create the perfect ambience in any space.
- Included Rhythm Upgrade Module has builtin sound sensors to automatically pick up on audio
- Connect up to 30 Light Panels on one Controller. Customize colors and animations with the Nanoleaf Smarter Series App or in the Home App. Also controllable with the manual Controller and voice control (Siri, OK Google or Amazon Alexa).
- Includes everything to get started: one Rhythm Module, nine Light Panels, nine linkers, nine mounting stencils and 28 mounting strips. Works with iOS8 or later (HomeKit), Android 5 or later and Google Assistant, Apple Home App, Amazon Alexa, and IFTTT.
So, smart lights controlled by Google Assistant or Alexa are quite popular these days. If you want to enjoy convenience and smartness, then you must choose a HomeKit powered lighting or something that can be controlled remotely via an app. You can definitely choose one of the top 7 smart technology lighting system mentioned above. These are the top best available, these days, in the market. You can choose one based on your needs and preferences as each of them has special features and different specifications. You can choose the one that you need the most based on this review. This is a complete guide for all the buyers who are looking for the most amazing smart bulb with the most innovative and advanced technologies. It is quite easy for you to set up the entire configuration and use the bulbs just like the way you want it to.